- The fingers and toes have completely separated.
- The taste buds are starting to develop.
- Baby has tooth buds, the beginning of the complete set of 20 milk teeth.
- Baby can swallow and stick out his or her tongue.
- Whole body except tongue is sensitive to touch.
- Cartilage now calcifying to become bone.
- If it is a boy, the testicles are starting to produce the testosterone hormone.
The eyelids have fused shut and will not open again until around week 27. The wrists and ankles have formed and the fingers and toes are clearly visible. By this week of the pregnancy the placenta has developed enough to support most of the critical job of producing hormones.