We have officially reached the halfway point of pregnancy. Time flies when you're getting huge! Hopefully that means this second half will go by even faster, because the hugeness is coming! Can you believe the baby is the size of a cantaloupe?!? A big cantaloupe at that! We are working our way through the produce aisle and getting kind of nervous about getting to the watermelons!
* Baby is 6 1/2 - 7 inches long crown to rump, and weighs about 10 1/2 ounces.
* The baby can hear and recognize the mother's voice.
* The mother will probably start feeling the first fetal movements.
* The toenails and fingernails are growing.
* The growth of hair on the rest of the body has started.
* The skin is getting thicker.
* The heart can now be heard with a stethoscope.
Your baby may react to loud sounds. Baby can actually hear noises outside of the womb. Familiar voices, music, and sounds that baby becomes accustomed to during their development stages often are calming after birth. This is an important time for sensory development since nerve cells serving each of the senses; taste, smell, hearing, sight, and touch are now developing into their specialized area of the brain.